Monday, January 11, 2010

Ping i15 Driver Review


As a big fan of the G10, I was looking forward to trying this out. It certainly looked the cats pyjamas in the shop, sitting as neatly and solidly as it's predecessor. Fortunately, the pro at my club had just gotten one for himself, so I took it for a test drive for him.

The spec was 9 degrees, Diamana S flex. It was an ideal test, as it's a very similar set-up to my own G10, 9 degree with ProLaunch Red S flex. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a let down. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but there is something definitely clunky about the i15. It's undoubtedly similar to the G10, and in truth there's little difference from the G5 and G2, but the latest offering has an undeniably cumbersome feel. However, one thing it did certainly do was go further. It was at my home course, where I've used my G10 for two years, so I know where I do and do not hit the ball... and there were a few that certainly surpassed anything I've hit with the G10. Another notable change was the trajectory, which certainly seemed more boring - though the shaft could also have had a baring on that.

Final verdict, if you're looking to switch from a different manufacturer, and like Ping's classic round shape from the G2 to the i15, by all means, give this a go. But for G10 users, I can't see enough here to warrant a change. The slight awkwardness of the i15 is probably something one would get over and used to in time. I'd still give it the thumbs up but methinks Ping may have to deviate a little more from the last four models to really wow the market again. Changing the letter and the colour of the face doesn't cut it I'm afraid. It's a great driver, but so was the G5!

No comments:

Post a Comment